Monday, April 21, 2008

Privacy

Since we have been talking about this today in class I want to give my piece of opinion about the topic.
The right to privacy is threatened as never before in modern history by the policies of the Bush white house and the Ashcroft justice department.
Some people may say: “I don’t have nothing to hide, let them watch me.” Might as well put a camera in their bathrooms. Let them watch! Some might say: “Find it in the Constitution, then I will be against warrant less wiretapping." But the thing is that there were no phones and internet back in 1776 so it could not have been written.
A big political issue because of the "Patriot's Act". I understand the need to protect our country, but why is the government seizing library records without warrants? I don't think that anyone cares about cameras set up in the city or the streets (except for the local criminals), just as long as they keep it out of my house. Ashcroft's "Patriot Act" is pretty argumentative. Every person must have a right for privacy, and shouldn’t be watched or wiretapped without a judge giving a permission for that. It is understandable why government does not want to this the legal way. If they needed a warrant for every person they want to watch, it would be too much work that has to be done to track every suspect the legal way. With all the hyperbole that's being thrown around, it wouldn't surprise me if political dissidents or 15 year old, who downloaded the new Eminem song, were considered "terrorists" and affected by this bill. Ben Franklin once said, "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" . The way I personally look at the issue if you don't actually have control over your possessions, yourself, and what you do, you don't own your life.

1 comment:

sjb said...

I definitely agree that our entitlement to privacy is being threatened. Little by little it seems our privacy is being violated and most don't even realize it (or just live by the 'ignorance is bliss' way of life). The government says it's for our safety that they do this, but I do not agree that it is right. They overstep their boundaries.

I don't have anything to hide, in the sense that I am not a terrorist and I'm not part of any greater conspiracies. I'd say, for the most part, I'm a law-abiding citizen. Does this mean I should be okay with my phone conversations being tapped? Or that I should be okay with all my online searches and conversations being logged? No! Just because I don't have anything to hide, doesn't mean I don't want privacy. Say I took part in a protest; should my rights change? Am I automatically a terrorist? No, but I am flagged as such by the government because I chose to express my opinions.

Seizing library records is in their power since libraries are a government institution. Still does not mean I want to be flagged for checking out the "wrong" thing in their eyes and not even be aware. I may already be on their list for that Frederick Douglass autobiography I checked out for my History class....

"If they needed a warrant for every person they want to watch, it would be too much work that has to be done to track every suspect the legal way." That is true, but I feel that if the government has probable cause to suspect someone of being a real threat to the country, then they should have no issue with doing to work to obtain a warrant to track them. Don't spy on everyone just because the ability is there. It does not make me feel safer; it only makes us a paranoid nation. We are still entitled to our privacy. Just because someone occasionally takes part in a protest, doesn't attend church, checks out something "weird" at the library, does a Google search for "guns," or downloads music illegally (gasp!) doesn't make us all potential terrorists. It makes us a free-thinking nation, which is what I thought they wanted when first establishing this country.

As was stated, when the Constitution was written, phones and internet were not the standard. Now, since this country is becoming more technological, and less dependent on paper, maybe the Constitution should be amended to incorporate the right to privacy to include more than just our papers.